Health and Safety
The Fedoruk Centre is committed to providing a place of employment that is as free as possible from recognized hazards. The Fedoruk Centre operates, at a minimum, in alignment with the values, policies and procedures of the University of Saskatchewan. A safe and healthy environment is created and maintained through the provision of proper facilities, equipment, training, services, and by promoting safety consciousness. This commitment includes creating and maintaining a positive work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
This is accomplished by:
- establishing and maintaining an Occupational Health and Safety Committee to advise management on the implementation of this policy;
- implementing the University of Saskatchewan’s safety policies and procedures where possible, and developing specific procedures to manage the hazards unique to our facilities;
- developing and implementing a safety management system at the workplace;
- keeping occupational radiation exposures As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA), social and economic factors being taken into account;
- resolving health, safety, and environment related incidents and concerns promptly;
- complying with federal, provincial, and municipal legislation and granting agency standards while working to establish exemplary practices;
- providing safety training, personal protective equipment (PPE), and safety devices;
- and providing a safe workplace by appropriately designing, constructing, maintaining, and, as required, modifying facilities.
Occupational Health and Safety Committee
In accordance with federal and provincial health and safety regulations, the Fedoruk Centre has established an Occupational Health and Safety Committee (OHC) composed of representatives from management and employees from the centre's office and the Saskatchewan Centre for Cyclotron Sciences.
Public Information and Disclosure Program
The Fedoruk Centre maintains a Public Information and Disclosure Program for the Saskatchewan Centre of Cyclotron Sciences to ensure that information about the Saskatchewan Centre for Cyclotron Sciences related to the health, safety and security of people and the environment is effectively communicated to the public.
Program elements and objectives
The public information and disclosure program for the Saskatchewan Centre for Cyclotron Sciences supports the strategic vision, mission and goals of the Fedoruk Centre, and is aligned with the strategic communications and outreach activities of the Fedoruk Centre. The program also fits with the Fedoruk Centre's guiding values of Accountability and Transparency. The program's objectives are:
- Build awareness of the Saskatchewan Centre for Cyclotron Sciences, with emphasis on its positive impacts for medical and biological research and health care in Saskatchewan.
- Engage and inform local audiences about the facility’s purpose and activities.
- Engage and inform potential academic users and industrial partners of the facility’s capabilities and research program.
- Provide accurate information regarding environmental, health and safety issues.